Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Movie Review: Shadow of the Vampire

Upon making the film Nosferatu, director F.W. Murnau encountered various problems such as trivial things like people dying and other technical problems such as actor Max Shreck suddenly refusing to ride on a island-bound ship. Shadow of the Vampire is based upon such events and progressively blends facts with fantasy. I was actually expecting more from this film and was somewhat disapointed. When I first heard about the movie I became under the impression that it was a completely true story and simply reinacted the events. Actually, the film takes the basis of true events and adds in many things that never really happened. This disappointed me because I wanted an accurate depiction of the filming of Nosferatu and not a fictional account. Unfortunately, we are left without knowing what really did happen and what did not.
3 1/2 stars

No comments: