Thursday, February 10, 2005

Movie Review: Tetsuo

Tetsuo is one of those movies that just makes you think "man, there is way too much Japanese style grunting dubbed over this movie." In fact, I bet I would have appretiated this film to a much higher degree if it was free of the insane amount of annoying anime reminescent grunting. For instance, when the character sees something normal, he'll grunt. Or if he sees something scary, he'll make kind of a scared grunt sound. Anyways, I read about this movie online and the guy at Alphaville said I might like it since I like weird movies. I bet you are wondering what the hell the movie is about aren't you? Well it's not actually about Japanese style grunting, that is merely one of it's strongest elements. It is actually about a man who gets hit by a car and gets a piece of metal stuck in his brain. He can't take it out or else he'll die, and we all know what happens when you have a piece of metal in your brain and you leave it there: you start turning into a robot. This turning into a robot business definately takes it's toll on his sex life too. I mean, his girlfriend is not exactly down with the two foot long metal drill that has replaced his penis. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of this movie is about him trying to have sex as a robot. The irony is that it is in these sex scenes when he is grunting the least. If you see this movie, you might enjoy it better by playing your favorite ABBA album in the background and turning down the volume on the movie. Don't worry, there is almost no dialogue in the film.... and it's in Japanese so it's not like you'd need to hear it anyways. What's that? ABBA sucks? That's exactly my point, I'm trying to demonstrate just how annoying the grunting gets.
3 1/2 stars

No comments: