Thursday, May 05, 2005

Movie Review: Wag The Dog

Wag the Dog? Not that good of a movie. I saw parts of this movie last year and I thought it was good, but now that I watched the whole thing, I have realized the error of my ways. The overall plot concept is great. The president is involved in a sex-scandal right before his possible re-election needs a fake war to distract the public and boost his ratings. Parts of the movie are good, but the plot wasn't executed well at all. It is way over-done, cheesy and arrogant. I really like the parts of the film that seriously critisize the media and their allegiance to the government, but too much of this movie is just plain cheesy and hollywoody and done for bad entertainment. I don't know how else to say it. Not that I wanted this to be a "serious" film, but it could have been done the way Warren Beatty's Bullworth was made; a halarious movie dead on in critisizing politicians and special interests. Wag the Dog, on the other hand, is just a good idea made into a "silly" hollywood film that tries not to provoke serious thought by going over the top and having cheesy one-liners thrown throughout the film. Could have been a good film if it was done right.

2 1/2 stars

No comments: