Friday, December 24, 2004

Raiding The Piggy Bank

Yesterday I did some mad Christmas shopping with Luis. I spent nearly a hundred dollars.... probably about 80. But check it out, I didn't have any scratch on me so I just brought my big frog piggy bank that was full of change. Of course I had no idea how much money was in it, but I figured that it would be enough for anything I was gonna get. We went to Hastings first and I got some dvds for my mom. That cost about 40 dollars, so before we purchased them we went into the "hardback cafe" and busted out a bunch of the change and put stacks of quarters together. I put exactly 60 dollars together and poured it all into one cargo pocket. I figured that I should get about 60 together because I still needed to get Luis a present while I was there (I had him go to another part of the store while I looked). But then I realized that I could get him something even better at Titlewave Books, cos I knew some titles were there that he would most likely enjoy. So we went up to the Hastings line and got to the counter and I put down all my money and she didn't believe me that it was 60 dollars so we had to count all of it. Or at least 40 something dollars for the total of my purchase there. One of the people behind me was laughing, but I don't see why the idea of paying with change is so funny.
After that I had to get gas so I spent 7 dollars at the station and the guy behind me said "raiding the piggy bank eh? I do that a lot." Then we went to Title wave and I got Luis two books and one for myself that I had on my list of books I was wanting. The Titlewave people were really nice and when I paid with my change they even offered to help me count out a hundred pennies so they could give me a dollar. So then we went and dropped off some presents at people's houses and then went to this music store so I could find something for my dad. I got him a book on guitars and a random amount of a bunch of picks.
The total came to 29.49 so I went into the corner and dumped out some more change from the frog. I had about 28 dollars sorted out, and some dimes and pennies. But wait! I suddenly remembered about that dollar that I got from all my pennies at Titlewave! I threw that in the pile and I had enough money, and then like 30 cents extra. It was amazing how perfect it came out to be. I got everything I wanted without even counting the money or anything. I just spent it as I went along, bringing the frog in all the stores I went to. Imagine if I had spent eight dollars on gas instead of that random uneven seven dollars I shelled out. Or if the Titlewave people accepted my gracious tip of a handful of pennies that I offered. I wouldn't have had enough! But I did. I had exactly enough for the whole day.

No comments: