Saturday, January 01, 2005

Movie Review: The Big Lebowski

Ah, the Big Lebowski. Yet another Coen brothers film. The first time I saw this movie it was edited and parts of it were entirely cut out to make way for commercials... That's what I get for watching it on Comedy Central. I recently watched it again unedited... MUCH BETTER. I didn't really like it that much the first time, but I definately do now. It's such a weird and random plot that wouldn't seem like it transfer well into a movie, but it does. The whole movie starts out with the Dude's (the main character) carpet being pissed on. He tries to get a new one and that is when his trouble starts. His friend (John Goodman) doesn't help matters much either. Also, Steve Bushemi (sp?) plays a minor role as a third friend who is always unaware of the context of many conversations, or "out of his league" as Goodman calls him. Anyways, this is a very funny movie, although I didn't find John Turturro's character as funny as most people did. But Phillup Seymour Hoffman makes up for this. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a character that Hoffman plays that is not enjoyable. Or at least I haven't found one yet.
4 stars

No comments: