Thursday, January 27, 2005

Movie Review: Deliverance

First off, let me warn you that if you rent this movie on VHS you will be pretty confused. This is because the movie begins by talking about how the movie was made. So for awhile my friends and I thought that it was a movie about the trouble some characters had trying to film a movie on this southern river. Eventually it turned out that this was NOT the actually movie. We found out only when the real movie came on.... or so we thought. The next "real movie" turned out to be just a really long trailer for the real movie. Then FINALLY the movie came on.
The film begins kind of slow, but leaves you wondering what is going to happen as the characters head out on a canoeing river in a hillbilly county. One of the characters whips out his guitar while they are talking to some local people and then all of a sudden this kid with a deformed face starts playing the banjo along with him. That is really the best way to start any movie in my opinion. I knew I was in for something good.
The rest of the movie follows the characters as they ride the harsh rapids of the unnamed river (in fact 31 people died trying to ride the river a year after the movie came out). They encounter problems with local hillbillies that live in the forests surrounding the river. And when I say problems, I mean really bad problems. This makes for some pretty quality entertainment and a very original movie.
4 1/2 stars

No comments: