Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Movie Review: Irreversible

Talk about a 15 minute long rape scene. I read some reviews for this movie and they said that they had to look away at some parts... but I didn't find it that graphic. I mean, it's no worse than a legnthed scene of Kevin Smith's Vulgar. It probably wasn't the rape that made these people look away; it could easily have been the unforgiving brutality of a scene where a man gets his head bashed in with a fire extinguisher in a gay sex club. Although, I just happened to find that scene really cool. Nobody does stuff that graphic in movies. It's unfortunate really. The directing and cinematography in this movie was really good, it is unfortunate that the plot had to be so thin. I really liked the cinematography at the beggining especially and I also liked how backwards the movie was. The movie starts at the last scene and then backs up a scene and then again, etc. Until you get to the shocking ending. I won't tell you what it is, but I will tell you that it involves kids playing in the sprinklers. Actually, that is about the whole scene. I just gave away the last scene. Sorry. But it doesn't really matter because it is really like the first scene. See how clever they did that?
3 1/2 stars

[message from the future-1/14/05: The day after I saw this movie I asked Jessie Traub "hey have you seen a french movie called "Irreversible", to which he replied "yes." I then said "Talk about a 15 minute long rape scene!" and he said, "actually it was only 9 minutes." How the hell does that kid memorize so much about movies? I ask you!]

No comments: