Sunday, May 30, 2004

Book Review: Geek Love

'Geek Love' is truely an amazing and original book written by Katherine Dunn. It is written in the form of a letter (350 pg long letter) from a woman to her daughter. Some chapters arn't the letter, but news articles and files from a reporter's information he's gathered on the family. The story is about the life of a traveling circus family called 'Fabulon'. My favorite character is a 26 pound baby named Mumpo. He gets his name because when he was first born he said something that sounded like 'mumpo'. The story has so many other interesting characters though. It is very creative and believable. It's not really about Geeks or Love at all, actually. It is about love in the sense of love for a family... a really twisted family. Anyways it's a really good novel. When I was reading it in San Francisco, different people came up to me to tell me it was a great book on SIX different occasions. Actually, one of the times I went up to THEM, because THEY were reading it also. Well, I'd recomend reading it, although some parts at the end are a little wac and rushed (in my opinion) but it's worth reading.
9/10 stars

No comments: