Thursday, May 06, 2004

Iraqi Prisoners Humiliated

Personally, I don't see the big deal about this whole "scandal" of US soldiers humiliating the Iraqis by taking nude pictures of them. People are acting like they thought that US soldiers were over there to give them candy or something. "What!?? They are taking advantage of their 'enemies' that they have complete control over! I would have never assumed something like this would be possible during war!". (I say war, because when a country invades another country with their military, despite heavy resistance of the invaded country leading to violence on both sides, I would qualify that as war.) And then of course our fearless President gives a little speech to give the impression that he gives a shit. He said something like "I am sorry for the humility experienced by the Iraqis and the humility experienced by their families." It seems to me that if he, or any other US official, is going to apoligize for Iraqi humility, they should have done it way earlier. In fact, this whole 'scandal' of tying up the naked Iraqi prisoners and taking pictures of them seems like just a metaphor for the whole war on the middle east. But again, the main thing that bugs me is that people act like they are surprised and appalled. "I can't believe our US soldiers would do such a thing as humiliate the Iraqi people." I remember seeing this for the first time and thinking to myself, "yeah, and what's that other thing that soldiers have been doing over there... jeez I can't remember... Oh, yeah, KILLING people." In fact, that is pretty much what a soldier does. Everybody is like "What the hell are those soldiers doing! This is disgusting of them! How can they do such a terrible crime! They are straying away from their purpose, which is to.. um.. kill them." Yes, I know that US soldiers aren't sent out there to kill the prisoners; they only kill the resisting Iraqis that are 'out in the wild'. But is that so much better? Seems the same to me. Now, the only arguement for thinking that killing people out in the open is OK because it could be in defense, well that is bullshit. You can't go invade another country and then when the people start resisting, you kill them and say "hey man, defense"... BUT, if you still do somehow think that killing a prisoner is much worse than killing somebody out in the open, well just look to Jewish America, aka Israel. You'll find torturing and all kinds of other things they do to their prisoners on the American dime... but at least they aren't humiliating them. There is talk about how the misbehaving soldiers will be severly punished or something. Well, in my opinion, when you kill somebody, you should punished too. Punished MORESO than if you humiliate somebody with nudie pictures. Call me crazy, but that's how I see it. I mean, when you look at the big picture, Iraqis that have been humiliated are lucky compared to the much larger numbers of Iraqis that have been... you know... KILLED. So, to recap: If you take naked pictures of Iraqis=BAD.... Killing Iraqis before you capture them=GOOD, here's a medal.... Getting drunk and drowning Iraqis=FROWNED UPON, but obviously not as bad as humiliating them, as the "humiliation" story is played out way more than the drowning one.*

*Actually, I haven't even seen this story even played once on the news (nor been able to find it searching the Nexis for mainstream media sources)

No comments: