Thursday, August 26, 2004

Fuck World Trade! Review! MOVE!

I've been listening to Fuck World Trade by the good Leftover Crack a lot lately. It is a pretty good album. Almost every song is of excellent quality. There are even two songs about killing cops. Personally, I don't believe in killing cops, because so many are decent people, but I do believe in destroying the police; the corporate protection institution as a whole. I think that's where they are coming from. Also, they have a song about the M.O.V.E. radical black group. Now there were some fucked up police in THAT incident.
For those of you who don't know anything about it, in 1978 nine members of the radical group were somehow sentanced to life for the result of one bullet that killed a cop in a standoff. How do 9 people get sentenced for the result of one bullet without even any evidence convicting any of them? Well, if that wasn't enough, in 1985 the police force of Philadelphia, now under Mayor Goode, dropped a bomb on the radicals' home after a 24 hour standoff. The fire department was forbidden from putting out the fire and the police had their guns trained on the exits of the home ready to fire. The police shot off thousands of rounds of ammunition and something like 60 houses were burnt to nothing before the fire department was able to put out the fire. No police were ever convicted of anything. I love the mayor's description of his strategy: "perfect, except for the fire". Of course, all this information is purely from memory, so minor details could be wrong, but I suggest reading up on it yourselves.
Clearly, you can understand Leftover Crack's motto of "Kill Cops, Because Cops Kill". I know that I'd shoot off a round or two if the city made WAR on my fucking HOME. The "Operation MOVE" song is a really good song and has an awesome violin buildup that really makes you feel the situation somehow. I'd written a song about the MOVE along time ago, but I think I lost it in some notebook that ended up getting trashed. Also, Howard Zinn narrates a documentary on the MOVE incidents. I really want to see that, but it's only in super underground, big city, theatres. The site for that is www.movefilm.com.
I had already heard about half the songs on the cd from either bootleg recordings (from the Live In Reading cd) or from different 7"s such as "Rock the 40oz".
The album has an awesome name/cover art (of which I have a poster in my room of) that features the twin towers burning and the president and other republicans happy and helping burn it down. World Trade is a death machine, as the cd suggests. This cd is excellent in terms of making you want to destroy things. On par with RATM in that sense. I saw an article about how chain stores (of course) refuse to carry this cd because of the artwork. That article is here.

No comments: