Saturday, June 05, 2004

Book Review: Fear & Loathing

During my trip to San Francisco, I read another book called "Fear and Loathing". This is not to be confused with the book "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas", or even "Fear and Loathing on The Campaign Trail", both by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. Instead, this book is by Paul Perry. It is a biography of Hunter S. Thompson.
I don't think you could ask for a better biography of the man. It was very entertaining and very thorough. I told of stories of the likes of Hunter ariving at an airport with a gun and a snake, only to lose the snake and have it killed by the staff. Or when he did massive amounts of drugs with the Hell's Angels and Ken Kessey (author of 'One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest') at one of Kessey's many infamous acid kool-aid parties. However, the most interesting of stories usually involve his 'partner in crime', the amazing british artist Ralph Steadman (who has done art for such books as "Animal Party" by George Orwell).
The book shows the highs, the lows and the 'highs' of the life of Thompson. While I was reading it, I couldn't help but to wonder if there was anybody with a more exciting life. Presently, the Dr. Gonzo lives secluded in a cabin. Free to take some mescaline and shoot his many guns off at various gongs he has set up around the cabin. Or, if he needs to take a piss, he can always go in his outdoor toilet complete with a palm tree growing out of it. If anybody is as interested in the great Doctor as I am, I would definately suggest reading "Fear & Loathing".
9 Stars

No comments: