Saturday, June 05, 2004

Movie Review: The Shining

It was many weeks ago when I saw the Shining, but I haven't remembered to review it till now. I have seen bits and pieces of the movie before, but never the whole thing. My dad told me that it was the scariest movie he could think of, which was one reason I watched it (also, because it's a ridiculously famous movie by Kubrick). I, however, didn't find it all that scary, but there aren't really many movies that you can call 'scary' it seems. It was a great movie none the less.
Like all Stephen King stories that I know of, the main character is a writer and the plot has something to do with childhood. In this case it was the writer's son, who possessed the ability to "shine". "Shining" is explained in the movie as the ability to read other people's thoughts and maybe even subconciously predict things. This may sound good and swell, but in reality it had nothing to do with the movie at all. Indeed, the movie could have rolled on just as graceously without all this business about "shining". Afterall, the movie was about a family living in a hotel when the father goes on a crazy murdorous rampage... not about "shining". I thought about why the story even had this in there in the first place, then I realized that without this special power, the scene where the kid subconciously writes 'Redrum' on the door would not make sense. It seems kind of dumb to have a super power thrown into a movie (and to name the movie after such power) just so you can have this one 'creepy' scene in the story. That was my main problem with it.
The directing, acting, setting and everything was really well done on the other hand. I really liked how the movie was put together. It seemed that it could have easily been directed by somebody else differently and been turned into a terrible movie (which has been done). The overall feeling you get from watching the movie is worth noting. I thought it was a great movie.
4 1/2 stars

No comments: