Sunday, June 27, 2004

Movie Review: Waking Life

I read the "plot outline" of Waking Life at IMDB; it summed it up so well that I decided to post it here.
A man in a dream state encounters many characters who, one by one, talk about their views on the meaning, perception, and reality of human existence.*
You are probably** thinking, "wait a second, that's pretty much the same plotline as Slacker". Well, you are right. It is pretty much the same plotline as Slacker. This is due to the fact that the director is the same. Waking Life could be viewed as a 'sequel' to Slacker, or an updated version. Because both movies are good and the director, Richard Linklater, is on the level, I don't mind the plotlines being similar. Linklater directed good movies such as Slacker, Waking Life, Tape, and if you like Suburbia(96), he directed that too. He also directed such mediocre movies as Dazed and Confused (which I don't understand why people like so much) and School of Rock. Linklater has also acted in a few movies. He played a small part in both Slacker and Waking Life, as well as Spy Kids and Beavis and Butt-Head Do America.
Waking Life is pretty weird, and sometimes random, but it makes a good emulation of a dream state. The movie is part animation and part real time... technicly it is 100% animated and 100% shot in real time, at the same time. This is because it looks as though the movie was shot, and then filtered and further animated on the computer. It gives the movie a really original realistic dream state look to it. It was pretty weird that the other night as I was starting to play this movie on my computer, I was similtaniously setting up my blog about dreams. This was before I even knew the movie was about dreams. Some parts of the movie were weird and made me feel like I was in a dream because the conversations they were having related so much to exactly what I had been thinking about; lucid dreams and what not. Also, I was impressed at being able to recognize the actors for a handful of the characters (who all played small parts, aside from the main character). The actors I recognized the voices of were: Nicky Katts, Ethan Hawk, Adam Goldberg, and finally, Linklater himself. For those of you playing at home, you can see if you recognize them as well!
4 stars

*This is to remind you to click the link when you are fininshed reading the whole blog. You don't want to click it right now do you!? I mean, that is, if you have only read the first few lines and jumped down here when you saw the footnote asterix thing. But, if you have already read the whole post, well go right ahead, click the link. (This was helpful in reminding you, you probably would have forgotten all about the link at the top by the end of reading the post. You are now officially reminded)

**Not really. Actually you probably havn't seen Slacker, or if you have, you didn't make the same connection.

No comments: