Saturday, June 26, 2004

Movie Review: Fahrenheit 911

The problem I had with this movie was the matter of seeing it. Last night, the opening night, I went there to meet some friends and it was sold out; I bought a ticket for a showing that was a few hours later. I went back home, ate dinner, and drove all the way back out to century 24. I left over an hour before the movie started, drove around forever finding parking and finally got in a huge massive line once I got in the theatre. The line was big and it got much bigger when 45 minutes later when I was still in it. My friends finally arived and said that they had a spot in line about a dozen people ahead of my spot, so we went over there. Later, some kid gave us a balloon for "making it towards the front of the line" or something. A few minutes after that, security forced us to go to the very end of this now massively long line. That asshole kid waved when we walked to the back. He must have gave Jenny the balloon to show the security which people "cut in line". We decided we would never get any decent seats so we refunded our money and left. We tried to see if any other theatres were playing the movies, but only Century theatres were playing it (now that they ran Madstone out of business), and downtown would be even more packed. Eventually we just gave up. This was after spending so much time just trying to see the movie; and a lot of gas money back and forth.
Today, I decided to see a cheap matinea (sp?) showing of the movie so I went with Andrew at 3:15 pm at the century 24. Can you believe they charge full price for seeing a movie that early?? Decent, normal movie theatres only charge full price when its past 5 or 6. I would gladly go to another theatre over terrible century theatres, but they were the only ones playing it. We decided that one of us had to sneak in to even out the ticket price (as I suggest everyone do for all movies at century 24). Unfortunately, the theatre the movie was in was on the west south of the building and I only really knew how to sneak in the north wing. We both ended up paying full price. But at least now I know where to sneak in the south wing.

Moore did an impressive job explaining the Bush administration's crimes and the "war on terror". It starts out by showing the ties to Saudi Arabia that washington has. A lot of this I did not know about. I figured that Saudi Arabia was an allie because they provided American companies to suck up their resources and provide a strategic military base (the reason for many US allies). It turns out that it goes deeper than that. A lot of the movie has a lot of great footage of Bush being an idiot like usual. It's overall a pretty funny movie. I once saw this interview by Matt Lauer (sp? who cares) of Micheal Moore talking about his "controvercial new movie". Matt seemed to not be talking about the movie and what critics say as much as critisizing Moore and his beliefs himself. He was taking everything personaly, it seemed, and kept trying to pull fast ones on Moore. Lauer said "you say this movie isn't for political purposes, but when one watches it, it seems like that's all it is!". Matt doesn't have a difference in his mind about a documentury on the truth and a political trick. Moore, being smarter and more decent then Matt, then said "if I was trying to do something political, I would run for office. I make movies, so that's what I did." Matt, being the clever idiot, said "wait a second though. It appears that a lot of democrats helped market this movie... and here you are saying it isn't for political reasons". Moore then came back and made him look like some sort of idiot that only watches the Today show. Moore replied something like "If you knew anything about me and what I stand for, you'd know that I am vehemenantly against the Democrats because they have no spine and arn't anybody I think could handle a job in the white house." Moore didn't mention anything in the interview about his support of the green party, nor did he mention it in his film. Obviously, if you were making 'biased film' for your political party's gain, you would mention your political party in some way; praise them, show the audience how good they are... anything. But unfortunately for Matt, Moore's movie isn't a biased political trick. It is a comprehensively truthful angle of the Bush administration that has been on everybody's tongue, but nobody has yet come out and said something about it in the scale of Micheal Moore's Fahrenheit 911.
4 1/2 stars

No comments: