Thursday, April 15, 2004

Chuck Palahniuk

Holly shit. A lot is happening in the world of Chuck Palahniuk right now. First of all, an "authors cut" if you will, of my favorite novel Fight Club is being released on the first of May. If that isn't awesome enough, my second favorite* novel by Palahniuk, Choke is going to be made into a motion picture. It is scheduled to start shooting this summer. It's weird. I had always thought about sitting in the theatre and seeing a preview saying "From the author of FIGHT CLUB comes the most thrilling thriller since sliced bread, LULABY!" or one of his other books coming into the theatre. Choke would actually be the last movie of Palahniuk's that I would guess would be filmatized. I mean, if that story is going to be on the screen, it's got to have a lot of script editing, and a lot of rock hustling. His latest novel, Diary is close to being signed for movie production as well. As far as his writing goes, a new book titled "Stranger than Fiction" is coming out June 15. On top of that Chuck is currently working on another book that I believe is called "Haunted". I think it is a collection of short stories, including the gross-out story Guts that was published in the new Playboy (yes, I've read it). There is also a Chuck Palahniuk documentary that is either out, or about to come out, although I have no idea where you would find it. Now, if all that wasn't enough, Fight Club is coming out as a video game for PS2 and Xbox. It sounds neat, until you find out that it is only a fighting game. I saw some screenshots, and it was neat to see the backgrounds (the Paper St. house, the office, the bar parking lot) in a videogame, but if it's only a fighting game, it might turn out to be a lame ploy to just try to make money off Fight Club fans, but who knows.

*my second favorite Palahniuk book would be a close tie between Choke and Survivor

No comments: