Thursday, April 29, 2004

Movie Review: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Origionally, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was intended to be a sequel to the 1967 movie Valley of the Dolls. Valley of the Dolls was a book, then turned into a movie. I don't know much about it because I havn't seen/read it. Eventually, the writer/director decided to make it it's own original movie (even though the themes of the two movies are almost exactrly the same), so now there is a disclaimer at the beggining that states that it had nothing to do with Valley of the Dolls.
When Beyond the Valley of the Dolls first came out it was actually rated X. This must be do to the fact that you see just about everybody's boobs in the whole movie. It wasn't until 1990 that it was re-reviewed and given the NC-17 rating. The plot is about a all-girl rock band that explores the ups and downs of show business. One thing I really liked about the movie was that the rock band was actually good. Usually when a movie about a band is made, the band is very mediocre, or bad. The music was even written specifically for the movie by Stu Read (I researched it). I also found that the soundtrack isn't printed in the US and it costs about $100 to get a new import. I think I will try my best to get the songs of Kazaa and make a make-shift Beyond the Valley of the Dolls album with my bare hands.
One reason I am writting so much about this movie is that it was one of the coolest movies I've seen in awhile (another reason for writting a lot is that i just saw it). It is very awesome and is so different from all other movies I've seen... except for maybe this one terrible 60s movie called The Girl In The Golden Boots. Beyond is like a really good version of that. The Golden Boots movie was very much so the same plot, but bad. I mean, for one thing, you probably won't find people being decapitated whilst the 20th Century Fox theme song is being played in the background in many other movies other than Beyond.
This is not your typical "sex, drugs and rockn'roll movie". No way. The list is much longer. It is more like a "sex, drugs, rockn'roll, sex, 70s, old weird looking party couple, swingers, boobs, random nazi, sex, 70s, boobs, gays, groovy, a million dollars, lesbians, superwoman and swords movie". And that's just the tip of the iceberg! There is way more sex that couldn't fit into the list. If that's not enough, this movie is where the clip in a Sublime song came from: "I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all of the habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes... reefers". That's right, now I've got your attention, you Sublime fan you.
4 1/2 Stars

No comments: