Saturday, April 03, 2004

Movie Review: Delicatessen

I was able to bring in 'Delicatessen' to my french class and our class watched it. It is, afterall, a french movie, which helped sway our teacher to want to watch it rather than 'Ghost Ship'.... eww. I have not seen all of Ghost Ship, nor do I want to. I hate horror movies in general, aside from the classic black and white films and even some new ones if they aren't super cliche.
Anyways, Delicatessen is the story of an unamed futuristic post-Apocalyptic wasteland. More specifically, the story of an apartment building that thrives in said wasteland. The movie starts out with the most awesome opening credits of any movie I have seen. Upon telling Luis this, he asks me if it's better than Fight Club's opening credits. I had thought about this previous to the question and, while Fight Club has a really cool opening credit sequence, Delicatessen's is better. I'd probably say 'Yeah, Right' has the third best opening credits scene. Some other great opening credit scenes (off the top of my head) are in 'Catch Me If You Can' and 'Spiderman'.
The plot of Delicatessen is of the butcher (who is also the owner of the apartment) of the deli that is contained inside of the apartment. In this age of unsavory living conditions, food is scarce; so scarce that it even qualifies as their currency. It makes one wonder: How does the butcher manage to maintain his supply of fresh meat? Well, he simply uses the meat from apartment superintendants that he hires and kills. It is actually a system, this cannibalistic meat process, and all the tenants understand it. The newest superintendant is a circus clown who falls in love with the butcher's daughter. Will this clown be eaten? Will he taste funny? Find out by watching this foreign black comedy. 4 stizzles.

Note: From now on, I might not say "I just watched" or "tonight I watched" before I talk about a movie. That is annoying to type and probably annoying to read. The only reason I used to have that at the begining is so the reader knows that I recently saw the movie (I only review movies that I have seen within a few days). I don't review movies that I have seen a long time ago, unless I re-saw the movie recently. I watch about a movie per day, which explains why the reviews have been so frequent.

No comments: