Sunday, March 14, 2004

How My Band Got Banned From 'the Attic'

If anybody reading this went to the chaotic happenings on Mar. 13th, you already know about the fights that broke out and were, for some reason, blamed on my band. If you weren't there, well read on, all will be explained...
I dunno why, but a few of the bands on this local line-up were heavy metal type bands, they were good musicians, but I can't say I like the music too much. Anyways, one of these bands is playing and nobody is really diggin it, especially this one hippy. Remember those hippies I was telling you about? Well they all came to the show cos they had nothing else to do I guess, and for some reason they know one of the members of our band apparently. One of them was really drunk (or at least on something) and was acting crazy the whole night. Well, when that heavy metal band ('Necronemisis' I think they were called) was almost done playing, that hippy (Shane was his name) desided it would be a good idea to piss them off. Shane started flipping them off and even going so far as to rub his middle finger against the guitarist's face. The band finished their song and a couple members jumped off stage and attacked the hippy. Out of nowhere, about 5 other guys surrounded Shane and started beating the shit out of him. One was punching him in the head, a few were kicking him, everyone was all around beating him right against the pool table. I was right there watching the whole thing and I thought he was gonna get his fucking head cracked in. The fight (or massive beat down was eventually broken up, but not before Shane's shirt was sportin' hippy blood. Shane was thrown out and a lot of people suddenly started cheering. At this time, I was supposed to be setting up my drum set because we were playing next, but instead I went over to talk to Andrew about the beat down we just witnessed. Suddenly I saw some more commotion on the other side of the barroom. I looked over and saw Dave, our guitarist, was getting yelled at, punched in the face and thrown outside. Before I could understand what happened, I was told that we were kicked out and we had to leave. 'What the hell is going on?' I was thinking, so I went outside to see Dave and the other people who went outside and find out what happened. Apparently, when the first fight had started (when Shane was being beaten), Dave tried to pull people away and get people off of Shane. In the act of doing so, Dave accidently grabbed the shirt of some macho man type guy named Josh. It seems that what happened was that a few minutes after that had calmed down, Josh recognized Dave as the guy who grabbed his shirt, so he punched him in the face and kept yelling "let's take this outside!". The whole time a bloody nosed Dave was saying no and resisting to fight. This is Dave's mistake. Apparently, trying to break up a fight and getting punched in the face by a skin head can get you kicked out of a bar these days. It ended with all of us band members and friends outside being told by the owner of the bar, the 'Necronemisis' band member, and the Josh guy all telling us "get your shit and get the fuck out of here". The owner had to be friends with Josh, because we certainly didn't do anything wrong on our part. What was even worse was that not one of the heavy metal band's members were kicked out. Maybe the worst part of the whole thing was that Dave's little sister was crying and told Josh "all I wanted to see was my brother's band play and you had to punch him in the face!". Josh's response was "Shut the fuck up", making her cry even harder. I don't know how some people can be such assholes to other people sometimes. Even Katie, our booking lady, said "Bye bye" in a 'get out of here' sort of way. I'd like to thank the members of Censored Youth. I might not like their lyrics that much, but when it comes down to it, they are all nice people and realized the injustice done that night. They supported us and couldn't believe we were banned either. That whole night still doesn't make sense to me. I also don't understand why the Attic has absolutely NO security or bouncers at all. Even Chuck E. Cheese has a bouncer! The only people that work there are the owner and the bartender. Now I dunno about the bartender, but I'm not to fond of putting money in the pocket of the owner, and neither should you. So tell your mom, tell your dad, tell your friends: "Boycot the Attic!"

No comments: