Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Movie Review: Day of the Dead

The sci-fi channel rarely has any good movies on it aside from the Planet of the Apes series. This explains why I don't usually watch the movies they play, but a couple of nights ago I watched "Day of the Dead". The 1985 film that completed the 'Dead' trilogy. I have seen the original "Night of the Living Dead", but I never saw the second one, 'Dawn of the Dead' (although I borrowed it from my friend so I will see it soon). I tend to do this; I see the first and last parts of a trilogy, but it takes awhile for me to see the middle one, for reasons out of my control. I did that with the El Mariachi trilogy as well; I still haven't seen Desperado.
Day of the Dead was kind of a disappointment. I really liked the Night of the Living Dead, but this third one just wasn't that great. It was about a group of scientists and soldiers that had limited supplies and food while they lived on an island trying to figure out how to stop the zombie army just outside of their gates (kind of like 28 days later). The only cool part of this movie was when the main scientist trained one of the zombies to behave (that particular zombie is the one on the cover) and even taught him tricks and stuff. But, this didn't quite make up for the movie's lack of... anything good. It wasn't horrible, but it was mediocre, which is in a way it's own form of being horrible. I give it 3 stars.

No comments: